Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview This collection contains manuscripts, books, articles, personal writings and items, and photographs primarily documenting Francis S. Low’s naval career. Low served in the Navy from 1915-1956, retiring at the rank of Admiral. He specialized in submarine warfare, playing an integral role in anti-U-boat tactics during World War II.
Dates: 1915-2000; Majority of material found within 1915-1963
Scope and Contents This collection consists of single manuscripts items from past NWC presidents, faculty, and staff, as well as other other naval officers and military service members from Rhode Island and the surrounding area. These items include correspondence, journals, reports, certificates, commissions, scrapbooks, and other ephemera that relate to the history of the U.S. Naval War College, the history of navies in the Narragansett Bay region, and the history of naval warfare and strategy.
Dates: 1783-2013 and undated
Overview This collection consists of papers detailing Captain Neil C. Porter’s (1913-2015) life and career in the U.S. Navy and at the Naval War College. It also includes the diary of Lieutenant Commander Charles H. Ritt (1890-1965), his father-in-law.
Dates: 1919-1986; Majority of material found within ( 1933-1962)
Record Group — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents Newspaper clippings, 1950–1993, and news releases, 1953–1993, treating Naval War College events, ceremonies and activities; Military Media Conference records, 1968–1998.
Dates: 1950 - 2001
Overview Frank M. Snyder (1926-2017 ) is a career naval officer who worked as a Professor and Professor Emeritus at the U.S. Naval War College. His papers include articles, research materials, speeches and lectures, audio and video cassette tapes, photographs, and scrapbooks relating to Snyder’s naval and professional academic career.
Dates: 1941-2010; Majority of material found within 1969-1994
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description The personal papers of Raymond A. Spruance, was donated to the Naval War College by Mrs. Spruance in 1970, only a year after the admiral's death. The collection contains eleven boxes of manuscript materials, along with memorabilia, including uniform items, medals, and Japanese Samurai swords. The papers focus, in the main, on the admiral's distinguished naval career, aspects of his ambassadorial appoinbnent, and his retirement years.Series I, Correspondence, consists of letters...
Dates: 1898-1969 and undated
- Subject: scrapbooks X
- Naval War College (U.S.) 3
- United States. Navy 3
- Andrea Doria (Steamship) 1
- Burke, Arleigh A., 1901-1996 1
- Churchill, Winston, 1874-1965 1
- Forrestel, Emmet Peter, 1898- 1
- King, Ernest Joseph, 1878-1956 1
- Liberty (Ship) 1
- Low family 1
- Low, Francis S. (Francis Stuart), 1894-1964 1
- Naval Station Newport (R.I.) 1
- Naval War College (U.S.). Naval Historical Collection 1
- Porter, Neil C. (Neil Claiborne), 1913-2015 1
- Princeton (Aircraft carrier) 1
- Ritt, Charles H. (Charles Henry), 1890-1965 1
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 1
- Snyder, Frank M. 1
- Spruance, Raymond Ames, 1886-1969 1
- Stockdale, James Bond 1
- United States Military Academy Preparatory School 1
- United States Naval Academy 1
- United States. Navy. Atlantic Fleet. Battleship Force 1 ∧ less