Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview Correspondence, memoranda, lists, contracts, inventories, military and naval orders, and plans regarding the early administration and curriculum of the Naval War College, new building construction, and items relating to the establishment of a naval coaling station in Narraganset Bay. Also included are journals and letterpress copybooks kept by past NWC presidents Charles Stockton and French Chadwick.
Overview The Ingraham family first immigrated to the United States in the seventeenth century from Great Britain, with many settling in South Carolina where they became a seafaring family with strong connections to both the U.S. Navy and the Navy of the Confederate States. This collection includes ships’ logs and reminiscences maintained by members of the Ingraham family while on board serving in either the U.S. Navy of the Confederate Navy during the American Civil War.
Overview The International Seapower Symposium (ISS) is a biennial meeting held at the U.S. Naval War College (NWC), hosted by the Chief of Naval Operations and the President, U.S. Naval War College. This record group consists of correspondence, reports, publications, photographs, audio cassettes, digital media (floppy disks and compact discs, etc), and digital files documenting the organization and proceedings of each symposium.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of single manuscripts items from past NWC presidents, faculty, and staff, as well as other other naval officers and military service members from Rhode Island and the surrounding area. These items include correspondence, journals, reports, certificates, commissions, scrapbooks, and other ephemera that relate to the history of the U.S. Naval War College, the history of navies in the Narragansett Bay region, and the history of naval warfare and strategy.
Overview Lieutenant Stephen McCarthy (1859-1938) served in the U.S. Navy from 1887 until his retirement in 1923. He retired in Newport, Rhode Island. His papers include naval commissions from various promotions in the U.S. Navy.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description Personal letters sent to his parents, siblings, friend Jones and his wife, Anne Hitchcock Sims, 1882–1925; Letters received from Navy Department regarding assignment; Letters comment on travels, places visited, family matters, politics and rebellions in the Caribbean, ship’s movements, health, social life in port, shipboard life, Hawaiian politics, life in Paris, France, French lessons, Sino-Japanese War, position as Naval Attaché in Paris and St. Petersburg, travels through Europe, criticism...
Overview This collection consists of materials regarding Wellings’ assignment as U.S. observer of the British Home Fleet, including his reminiscences of the sinking of the Bismarck in May 1941, as well as correspondence, writings, speeches, subject files, and other documentation relating to his naval career.
- Subject: letters (correspondence) X
- Naval War College (U.S.) 2
- Sims, William Sowden, 1858-1936 2
- United States. Navy 2
- Aldrich, Nelson W. (Nelson Wilmarth), 1841-1915 1
- Bismarck (Battleship) 1
- Chadwick, French Ensor, 1844-1919 1
- Chandler, William E. (William Eaton), 1835-1917 1
- Confederate States of America. Navy 1
- Daniels, Josephus, 1862-1948 1
- Dolphin (Schooner) 1
- Goodrich, Caspar F. (Caspar Frederick), 1847-1925 1
- Hall, Wilburn B. (Wilburn Briggs), 1838-1912 1
- Harrison, Benjamin, 1833-1901 1
- Herbert, Hilary A. (Hilary Abner), 1834-1919 1
- Hitchcock family 1
- Hitchcock, Margaret Dwight, 1878-1926 1
- Ingraham family 1
- Ingraham, Duncan N. (Duncan Nathaniel), 1802-1891 1
- Ingraham, John H. 1
- International Seapower Symposium 1
- Knight, Austin Melvin, 1854-1927 1
- Luce, Stephen Bleecker, 1827-1917 1
- Mahan, A. T. (Alfred Thayer), 1840-1914 1
- Mason, George C. (George Champlin), 1820-1894 1
- McCarthy, Stephen, 1859-1938 1
- McKinley, William, 1843-1901 1
- Merrell, John Porter, 1846-1916 1
- Naval War College (U.S.). Naval Historical Collection 1
- Perry, Raymond R., 1894-1925 1
- Piper, Ferdinand, 1812-1844 1
- Plymouth (Ship) 1
- Rodgers, William Ledyard, 1860-1940 1
- Schley, Winfield Scott, 1839-1911 1
- Shepley, Sarah Hitchcock, 1870-1957 1
- Sims family 1
- Sims, Anne Hitchcock, 1875-1960 1
- Sperry, Charles S. (Charles Stillman), 1847-1911 1
- Taylor, H. C. (Henry Clay), 1845-1904 1
- Tracy, Benjamin F. (Benjamin Franklin), 1830-1915 1
- United States Naval Torpedo Station (Newport, R.I.) 1
- United States. Department of the Navy 1
- United States. Joint Chiefs of Staff 1
- Wellings, Joseph H. (Joseph Harold), 1903- 1
- Wilson, George Grafton, 1863-1951 1
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924 1 ∧ less