Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview The personal papers of Rear Admiral Richard W. Bates (1892-1973) cover the years 1915-1973. He was a commanding officer on many ships in the Navy. His collection consists of correspondence, subject files, writings, speeches, and miscellaneous items. The papers are arranged in four series based on an established file system. They mainly encompass Bates career as a Naval Officer, family, and social life in Newport, as well as other aspects of his career including published and unpublished...
Overview This collection contains manuscripts, books, articles, personal writings and items, and photographs primarily documenting Francis S. Low’s naval career. Low served in the Navy from 1915-1956, retiring at the rank of Admiral. He specialized in submarine warfare, playing an integral role in anti-U-boat tactics during World War II.
Scope and Contents Newspaper clippings, 1950–1993, and news releases, 1953–1993, treating Naval War College events, ceremonies and activities; Military Media Conference records, 1968–1998.
Overview This collection consists of correspondence, logbooks, photographs, publications, and other papers relating to the Sims and Hitchcock families, particularly Admiral William S. Sims, his wife Anne Hitchcock Sims, and her father Ethan Allen Hitchcock. These papers detail the families’ personal lives and relationships as well as the careers of Adm. Sims and Ethan Allen Hitchcock.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description The personal papers of Raymond A. Spruance, was donated to the Naval War College by Mrs. Spruance in 1970, only a year after the admiral's death. The collection contains eleven boxes of manuscript materials, along with memorabilia, including uniform items, medals, and Japanese Samurai swords. The papers focus, in the main, on the admiral's distinguished naval career, aspects of his ambassadorial appoinbnent, and his retirement years.Series I, Correspondence, consists of letters...
Overview Vice Admiral James B. Stockdale (1923-2005) was a highly decorated naval aviator who spent nearly eight years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. He was the fortieth President of the Naval War College and after his retirement from the navy he served as President of The Citadel, Charleston, S.C and was an independent candidate for Vice President of the U.S. in 1992. This collection includes correspondence, photographs, newspaper articles, speeches, and writings relating to Stockdale’s...
Scope and Contents Records: Historical Subject Files including correspondence, memoranda, chronologies and reports pertaining to administrative matters, base activities and command facilities, 1942–1969; Presidential visits of Eisenhower and Kennedy, 1957–1958, 1960–1961; History and transfer of Fort Adams, 1951–1960; Planning and construction of Narragansett Bay Bridge, 1944–1966; Use of Prudence Island 1913–1917; Consolidation of the office of Industrial Relations, 1950–1963; Housing Plans, 1967–1968; German...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description Correspondence and subject files pertaining to administration, organization, mission, functions and buildings of the Naval Training Station and Naval Station, 1885–1974; Historical subject files of Coasters Harbor Island, Fort Adams, USS Constitution, USS Constellation, visits of Presidents Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Nixon, 150th Anniversary of landing of General Rochambeau, 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Rhode Island, hurricanes, fires, Public Works Department, Tercentenary of city...
- Subject: clippings (information artifacts) X
- Naval War College (U.S.) 4
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 3
- United States Naval Academy 3
- Churchill, Winston, 1874-1947 2
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 2
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 2
- Naval Station Newport (R.I.) 2
- Naval War College (U.S.). Foundation 2
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 2
- Stockdale, James Bond 2
- Bates, Richard W., 1892-1973 1
- Bennington (Aircraft carrier) 1
- Brennan, Joseph Gerard, 1910-2004 1
- Chafee, John H., 1922-1999 1
- Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina 1
- Constellation (Ship) 1
- Forrestel, Emmet Peter, 1898- 1
- Hayward, Thomas Bibb, 1924- 1
- Hitchcock family 1
- Hitchcock, Ethan Allen, 1835-1909 1
- Hitchcock, Henry, 1829-1902 1
- Holloway, James L., 1922- 1
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964 1
- Jellicoe, John Rushworth, 1859-1935 1
- King, Ernest Joseph, 1878-1956 1
- Kittredge, Tracy B., 1891- 1
- LeBourgeois, Julien J. 1
- Low family 1
- Low, Francis S. (Francis Stuart), 1894-1964 1
- Morison, Anne Sims, 1914- 1
- Morison, Elting Elmore 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 1
- Nunn, Sam 1
- Quonset Point Naval Air Station (R.I.) 1
- Sims family 1
- Sims, Anne Hitchcock, 1875-1960 1
- Sims, William S., Jr. (William Sowden), 1912- 1
- Sims, William Sowden, 1858-1936 1
- Sowden family 1
- Spruance, Raymond Ames, 1886-1969 1
- Tower, John G. (John Goodwin), 1925-1991 1
- Trost, Carlisle A. H. (Carlisle Alberth H.), 1930- 1
- United States. Navy 1
- United States. Navy. Atlantic Fleet. Battleship Force 1 ∧ less