Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12
Overview The Anderson papers consist of career papers, correspondence, subject files, writings, and other miscellaneous items related to the military career of Bern Anderson. The majority of the materials in this collection are from the career series and the correspondence series. These materials reflect many angles of his active United States Naval duty including: his personal letters during active duty, his materials regarding Operation Hollandia, his published and unpublished writings, diaries,...
Overview The personal papers of Rear Admiral Richard W. Bates (1892-1973) cover the years 1915-1973. He was a commanding officer on many ships in the Navy. His collection consists of correspondence, subject files, writings, speeches, and miscellaneous items. The papers are arranged in four series based on an established file system. They mainly encompass Bates career as a Naval Officer, family, and social life in Newport, as well as other aspects of his career including published and unpublished...
Overview Captain William Milner Carpenter (1916-2006) was a World War II Pacific theater veteran with 26 years of active service in the United States Navy. After his retirement he spent 30 years working and consulting for SRI International. This collection include books, correspondence, photographs, and writings relating to both his naval and civilian careers.
Overview The Intelligence and Technical archives are comprised of the records of the Naval War College Classified Library, which in the early years of the twentieth century, was called "The Archives." This record group is composed of three series. Series I is military and technical intelligence; series II, World War Attache reports; and series III, ONI translations of German Naval documents from the period 1933-1945. This record group is a research collection of material retained for permanent reference...
Overview This collection contains manuscripts, books, articles, personal writings and items, and photographs primarily documenting Francis S. Low’s naval career. Low served in the Navy from 1915-1956, retiring at the rank of Admiral. He specialized in submarine warfare, playing an integral role in anti-U-boat tactics during World War II.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of single manuscripts items from past NWC presidents, faculty, and staff, as well as other other naval officers and military service members from Rhode Island and the surrounding area. These items include correspondence, journals, reports, certificates, commissions, scrapbooks, and other ephemera that relate to the history of the U.S. Naval War College, the history of navies in the Narragansett Bay region, and the history of naval warfare and strategy.
Overview This collection consists of papers detailing Captain Neil C. Porter’s (1913-2015) life and career in the U.S. Navy and at the Naval War College. It also includes the diary of Lieutenant Commander Charles H. Ritt (1890-1965), his father-in-law.
Overview Frank M. Snyder (1926-2017 ) is a career naval officer who worked as a Professor and Professor Emeritus at the U.S. Naval War College. His papers include articles, research materials, speeches and lectures, audio and video cassette tapes, photographs, and scrapbooks relating to Snyder’s naval and professional academic career.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description The personal papers of Raymond A. Spruance, was donated to the Naval War College by Mrs. Spruance in 1970, only a year after the admiral's death. The collection contains eleven boxes of manuscript materials, along with memorabilia, including uniform items, medals, and Japanese Samurai swords. The papers focus, in the main, on the admiral's distinguished naval career, aspects of his ambassadorial appoinbnent, and his retirement years.Series I, Correspondence, consists of letters...
Scope and Contents Records: Historical Subject Files including correspondence, memoranda, chronologies and reports pertaining to administrative matters, base activities and command facilities, 1942–1969; Presidential visits of Eisenhower and Kennedy, 1957–1958, 1960–1961; History and transfer of Fort Adams, 1951–1960; Planning and construction of Narragansett Bay Bridge, 1944–1966; Use of Prudence Island 1913–1917; Consolidation of the office of Industrial Relations, 1950–1963; Housing Plans, 1967–1968; German...
- Subject: World War, 1939-1945 X
- Naval War College (U.S.) 6
- United States. Navy 4
- Naval Station Newport (R.I.) 3
- Bates, Richard W., 1892-1973 2
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 2
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 2
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 2
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 2
- United States Naval Academy 2
- Albion, Robert Greenhalgh, 1896-1983 1
- Anderson, Bern, 1900-1963 1
- Andrea Doria (Steamship) 1
- Bennington (Aircraft carrier) 1
- Burke, Arleigh A., 1901-1996 1
- Carpenter, William Milner 1
- Churchill, Winston, 1874-1947 1
- Constellation (Ship) 1
- Forrestel, Emmet Peter, 1898- 1
- Harvard University 1
- King, Ernest Joseph, 1878-1956 1
- Liberty (Ship) 1
- Low family 1
- Low, Francis S. (Francis Stuart), 1894-1964 1
- Milner, Verna, fl. 1935 1
- Morison, Samuel Eliot, 1887-1976 1
- Naval War College (U.S.). Foundation 1
- Naval War College (U.S.). Naval Historical Collection 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 1
- Pineau, Roger, 1916-1993 1
- Porter, Neil C. (Neil Claiborne), 1913-2015 1
- Princeton (Aircraft carrier) 1
- Quonset Point Naval Air Station (R.I.) 1
- Ritt, Charles H. (Charles Henry), 1890-1965 1
- Snyder, Frank M. 1
- Spruance, Raymond Ames, 1886-1969 1
- Swallow (Ship) 1
- USS Blue 1
- USS New York 1
- USS San Juan 1
- United States Military Academy Preparatory School 1
- United States Naval Academy. Class of Forty. 1
- United States. Navy. Atlantic Fleet. Battleship Force 1
- United States. Office of Naval Intelligence 1
- Vixen (Ship) 1 ∧ less