Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview The personal papers of Rear Admiral Richard W. Bates (1892-1973) cover the years 1915-1973. He was a commanding officer on many ships in the Navy. His collection consists of correspondence, subject files, writings, speeches, and miscellaneous items. The papers are arranged in four series based on an established file system. They mainly encompass Bates career as a Naval Officer, family, and social life in Newport, as well as other aspects of his career including published and unpublished...
Overview This collection consists of letters, photographs, invitations, a wedding gift registry, and other papers relating to the Sims family, particularly Admiral William S. Sims and his wife, Anne Hitchcock Sims. The papers detail the Sims family’s personal life and relationship as well as Admiral Sims’s career in the Navy.
Overview The Intelligence and Technical archives are comprised of the records of the Naval War College Classified Library, which in the early years of the twentieth century, was called "The Archives." This record group is composed of three series. Series I is military and technical intelligence; series II, World War Attache reports; and series III, ONI translations of German Naval documents from the period 1933-1945. This record group is a research collection of material retained for permanent reference...
Scope and Contents This collection consists of single manuscripts items from past NWC presidents, faculty, and staff, as well as other other naval officers and military service members from Rhode Island and the surrounding area. These items include correspondence, journals, reports, certificates, commissions, scrapbooks, and other ephemera that relate to the history of the U.S. Naval War College, the history of navies in the Narragansett Bay region, and the history of naval warfare and strategy.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description Personal letters sent to his parents, siblings, friend Jones and his wife, Anne Hitchcock Sims, 1882–1925; Letters received from Navy Department regarding assignment; Letters comment on travels, places visited, family matters, politics and rebellions in the Caribbean, ship’s movements, health, social life in port, shipboard life, Hawaiian politics, life in Paris, France, French lessons, Sino-Japanese War, position as Naval Attaché in Paris and St. Petersburg, travels through Europe, criticism...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description Correspondence and subject files pertaining to administration, organization, mission, functions and buildings of the Naval Training Station and Naval Station, 1885–1974; Historical subject files of Coasters Harbor Island, Fort Adams, USS Constitution, USS Constellation, visits of Presidents Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Nixon, 150th Anniversary of landing of General Rochambeau, 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Rhode Island, hurricanes, fires, Public Works Department, Tercentenary of city...
- Subject: World War, 1914-1918 X
- Naval War College (U.S.) 4
- Sims family 2
- Sims, Anne Hitchcock, 1875-1960 2
- Sims, William Sowden, 1858-1936 2
- Bates, Richard W., 1892-1973 1
- Bennington (Aircraft carrier) 1
- Constellation (Ship) 1
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 1
- Hitchcock family 1
- Hitchcock, Margaret Dwight, 1878-1926 1
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 1
- Naval Station Newport (R.I.) 1
- Naval War College (U.S.). Foundation 1
- Naval War College (U.S.). Naval Historical Collection 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 1
- Quonset Point Naval Air Station (R.I.) 1
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 1
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 1
- Shepley, Sarah Hitchcock, 1870-1957 1
- Sims, Alfred Varley, 1864-1944 1
- Sowden family 1
- United States Naval Academy 1
- United States. Office of Naval Intelligence 1 ∧ less