Thomas B. Buell collection on Raymond A. Spruance
Research materials relating to the life and career of ADM Raymond A. Spruance, USN, including copies of the letters of ADM Spruance to Mrs. Spruance 1942–45; Copies of correspondence between ADM Spruance and Arthur Sproul 1951–65; Copies of correspondence between ADM Spruance and Emmel Forrestel 1961–68; Copies of correspondence between ADM Spruance and E.B. Potter, 1959–65; Correspondence of CDR Thomas B. Buell regarding Spruance, 1970–73; Copies of the Fitness Reports of ADM Spruance, 1906–48; Typescripts and tapes of recorded interviews with Mrs. Spruance, et.al., 1971–72; Typescripts, blueprints, unbound and bound galleys of The Quiet Warrior, 1973–74; Unpublished MA Thesis (1967) of H. Snow entitled “The 1953 Philippine Presidential Election.” Research source materials on ADM E.J. King collected by CDR Thomas Buell for his biography Master of Seapower and Walter Whitehill for A Naval Record. Materials include Buell’s correspondence with naval officers who knew or served with King; Copies of King’s autobiography and personal papers from the Library of Congress, FDR Library and Operational Archives, NHC; Preliminary drafts with comments by Herman Wouk, Gerald Wheeler and Llewellyn Howland; Extracts of oral histories of Flag Rank officers; Synopses of oral histories done by Buell; Notecards and files; Photographs; Tape cassettes. Research materials on Port Chicago Mutiny of 1944, including copies of correspondence files, 1944–1946; Copies of Hearings on the Mutiny, 1944; Correspondence of Buell, 1980; Microfilm.
- 1866-2002 and undated
- Majority of material found within 1971-1974
- Buell, Thomas B. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is open to all researchers, unless otherwise specified.
Conditions Governing Use
Material in this collection is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted.
7 Linear Feet (14 archival boxes, 1oversize box, 1 flat file)
Language of Materials
- Buell, Thomas B. The quiet warrior: A biography of Admiral Raymond A. Spruance. Boston, MA: Little, Brown, 1974.
- Forrestel, Emmet P. Admiral Raymond A. Spruance, A Study in Command. Washington, D.C.: GPO, 1966.
- The reminiscences of Commander Thomas B. Buell, U.S. Navy (Retired). Interviewed by Paul Stillwell, Annapolis, MD: U.S. Naval Institute, 2005.
- Admirals -- United States -- Biography
- Ambassadors -- United States -- History
- Barber, Charles F., 1917-2012
- Bogart, Gerald S., 1914-
- Bogart, Margaret Spruance, 1919-1996
- Cannon, Robert M. (Robert Mylchrist), 1901-1976
- Eccles, Henry E. (Henry Effingham), 1898-1986
- Forrestel, Emmet Peter, 1898-
- Historians -- United States
- Howland, Llewellyn, III
- Lacy, William Sterling Byrd, 1910-1978
- Lansdale, Edward Geary, 1908-1987
- Little, Brown and Company
- Lovett, Ralph B., 1890-1977
- Midway, Battle of, 1942
- Moore, Charles J.
- Morison, Samuel Eliot, 1887-1976
- Naval War College (U.S.) -- History
- Nimitz, Chester W. (Chester William), 1885-1966
- Potter, E. B. (Elmer Belmont), 1908-
- Robbins, Thomas H. (Thomas Hinckley), 1900-1972
- Sproul, Arthur
- Spruance family
- Spruance, Margaret, 1888-1985
- Spruance, Raymond Ames, 1886-1969
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pacific Area
- clippings (information artifacts)
- drafts (documents)
- letters (correspondence)
- oral histories (literary works)
- research notes
- Thomas B. Buell collection on Raymond A. Spruance
- Dacs Finding Aid
- Elizabeth Delmage
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note