USS Macedonian logbook
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of one logbook from the USS Macedonian during its service as a practice ship for the United States Naval Academy at Newport, RI and later in Annapolis. The log records the weather, communications with other vessels, and midshipmen activities.
Also found within this volume are accounts and notes from Robert M. Marks from Northumberland, Pennsylvania documenting his automobile business, circa 1940-1941. It is unclear as to how this volume came in his possession but appears he was simply using extra blank pages of this volume for his business accounts.
- 1865, circa 1940-1941
- Majority of material found within 1865 Jun-Sep
Conditions Governing Access
Access is open to all researchers, unless otherwise specified.
Conditions Governing Use
Material in this collection is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted.
The second USS Macedonian, a 36 gun frigate, was rebuilt from the keel of the first Macedonian at Gosport Navy Yard beginning in 1832, and was launched and placed in service in 1836. It was first assigned to the West India Squadron, cruising the West Indies and the western coast of Africa as a deterrent to Caribbean pirates from 1839 to 1847.
The Macedonian was docked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard from 1852 to 1854 and converted to be a sloop-of-war to join Commodore Matthew C. Perry’s East India Squadron on their expedition to Japan. Following the signing of the Treaty of Kanagawa on March 31, 1854, Macedonian patrolled the North Pacific for three years. Then, from 1857 to 1861, she served with the Home Squadron in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean.
In January 1861, anticipating the impending U.S. Civil War (1861-1865), the Macedonian sailed to Pensacola, Florida to assist in preventing a possible Confederate attack on the harbor there. In February, she sailed to Vera Cruz, Mexico to begin patrol operations along the gulf coast and the coast of South America. In December 1861, the Macedonian returned to the east coast and spent the next two years with the West India Squadron. In July 1863, she cruised along the coast of Portugal with USS Kearsarge (Sloop-of-war) hunting the CSS Southerner.
From the end of 1863 through 1870, Macedonian served as school and practice ship for midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Academy, first at Newport, Rhode Island, then after the Civil War at Annapolis. In 1871, she was added to the reserve fleet at the Norfolk Navy Yard, where she remained until December 31, 1875 when she was sold to Wiggin and Robinson for merchant service.
0.2 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
The USS Macedonian was a United States Navy frigate that later served as a practice ship for the United States Naval Academy. This logbook spans from 1865 Jun 13-Sep 13 and was maintained while the Macedonian was atttached to the Naval Academy while it was located in Newport, RI during the U.S. Civil War.
This collection is comprised of a single volume.
The NWC Museum received this logbook as gift from Mr. Wayne Heck in May 2022.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This volume was transferred from the Naval War College Museum to the NWC Archives in June 2022.
This collection was processed according to current archival standard by Elizabeth Delmage in 2022.
- USS Macedonian logbook, 1865, circa 1940-1941
- Dacs Finding Aid
- Elizabeth Delmage
- 2022 Nov 22
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description