Skip to main content

Naval Historical Collection records

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-24

Scope and Contents

Correspondence, memoranda and business files regarding administration of the division and its collections.

Dates

  • 1956-2014

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Access is open to all researchers, unless otherwise specified.

Conditions Governing Use

Material in this collection is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted.

Historical Note

The Naval Historical Collection was established in 1969 as a division within the Naval War College Library. The Naval Historical Collection is the repository for the Naval War College Archives, non-current College organizational and administrative records; the Manuscript Collection, consisting of personal and corporate papers of naval officers and organizations; the Oral History Collection, consisting of transcripts and tapes of interviews of naval officers acquired through purchase or done by members of the Naval Historical Collection; and the Naval War College Museum Collection, artifacts of a general naval character.

In January, 1977, the NHC/NWC Museum was transferred from the Library Department to the Administration Department, under the direct supervision of the Director of Support Services. The Naval War College Museum, located in Founders Hall, opened 26 May 1978.

The records of this activity consist of copies of business correspondence sent and letters received; internal memoranda sent and received, and business files. Correspondence and memoranda are arranged alphabetically by year.

As of October 1, 1984, the Naval Historical Collection was placed in the Library Department and the Museum continued under the Dean of Administration, thus separating the administration and directorships of the two activities. Dr. Evelyn M. Cherpak was appointed Head of the Naval Historical Collection and A. Nicolosi was named Director of the NWC Museum.

Extent

16.8 Linear Feet (58 boxes)